Currently excepting ARCs via NetGalley. I’m also reviewing books I’ve personally purchased. I review ebooks by Indie/trad/hybrid authors and am not paid for my reviews. You may contact me at throwthisbookatme[at]gmail[dot]com.
I review books I buy myself and those provided to me by publishers or authors. All reviews are listed by title under the Book Reviews and Interviews tab. This isn’t always up-to-date, but it includes every review except those for the last 1-2 months.
- 5 stars: found myself thinking about this book days after I read it; writing, characters, and plot worked for me; there was a subjective something special in it for me.
- 4 stars: solidly entertaining story; writing, characters, and plot mostly worked for me; there was something that kept me from loving it, but overall, a strong read
- 3 stars: would read this writer again, even if this story wasn’t everything I hoped; there was something with the writing, characters, or plot that kept being an issue for me; usually strong writing, but just not for me
- 2 stars: a serious problem with either characters, writing, or plot; misrepresented the genre or basic premise of the novel; would probably not read this author again unless by strong recommendation
- 1 star: did not finish; major flaw in characters, writing, or plot; would not read this author again
My reviews and tips for nice emails:
- I’ve gotten A LOT of emails recently! This is exciting but overwhelming. When you send an email, don’t tell me how cheap/free/whatever your book is. That’s not a selling point.
- PLEASE add a link to your book on goodreads and/or amazon in your email. It’s not fun to go hunt down books, and I can judge what I want to read easily when I see how you’ve presented it on your social media sites.
- I do email back when I’m interested.
- No book is for everyone, and there’s a lot out there to read.
- I want to point out genuinely interesting parts of a book. I tend to focus on the good over the bad, and I love the moments where I want to shout or clap or swear or giggle.
- That said, nothing is perfect, and I’ll say what didn’t work for me. I honestly don’t post a lot of my 1 stars because those hurt, and I consider them DNFs most of the time, too, because I ended up skimming so much of the material. I also try and be decerning enough not to pick books that I think I’m going to 1 star.
Preferences updated 10/3/16:
(All genres are YA/NA/adult unless otherwise noted. I will review novels with cross-genre appeal.)
- Contemporary fantasy–what I want to review the most (magical realism, urban, or whatever as long as it takes place in a current setting)
- Humorous fantasy
- Fairytale retellings
- Urban fantasy/contemporary fantasy –favorite genre
- If the romance is steamy, don’t send.
- Odd monsters (and no, mermaids don’t count here)
- Myth centric paranormal (based on myths so there might be an overlap with retellings)
- Space operas
- Books with lots of aliens (is there a genre to that? Alien centric)
- Speculative sci-fi